2015 school budget update and School Committee meeting
Updated superintendent’s budget recommendation:
On Wednesday evening, Dr. Sawyer presented an updated budget recommendation to the School Committee that includes possible reductions that may need to be made next year. This information, as well as the video of the School Committee meeting, can be found under the FY2015 Budget link here.
According to Dr. Sawyer’s presentation, if an override is not approved by voters on June 3rd possible reductions include
- Eliminate an additional 6 Full Time Equivalent elementary classroom teacher positions which will increase class sizes to 27-29 in all grade levels at all schools at the elementary level; 27-31 at the middle school level, and in the high 20s to low 30s at the high school level.
- Reduced technology budget resulting in deferred replacement of obsolete equipment
- Loss of one Full Time Employee (FTE) at the middle level by eliminating an advanced math coach
- Loss of a 0.9FTE music teacher by not filling an opening created by a retirement
- Loss of a 0.6FTE health teacher reducing the scope of the health program at the elementary and/or middle school level
- Eliminate a portion of a foreign language teacher at the High School resulting in the loss of French 1 and increased class size to 30 in some sections of French
- Reduced funding for the Athletic Department at the High School
School Committee public budget hearing:
The School Committee will host a Public Hearing on the FY2015 budget on Monday, Monday, May 12 at 7pm in the Selectmen’s Room at Town Hall, 100 Maple Ave. The hearing will focus on Dr. Sawyer’s proposal of what cuts will be necessary if the override vote fails on June 3. View the schools’ most recent budget information and come Use Your Voice about what priorities matter most to you. Please consider attending the hearing to share your feedback, or you can do so by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.